Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Oh the Places You'll Go

  
   Tomorrow I leave with 8 other people for India on a BTSR Mission Immerssion Experience, 16 days in southern India learning what it is like to live and worship in a different culture.  My hope is that I can keep my friends and family updated on my experiences while I am away.  For those interested in following my journey, below you will find the itinerary for our trip.  Follow along with me, research a little about the places we will be, and I will do my best to keep everyone posted on the places we will go.

Jan. 6 Depart Dulles airport for India

Jan. 8 Arrive in Kochi, Kerala, India. Travel to city of Kottayam and stay at the India Baptist Theological  Seminary (http://www.indiabaptist.edu.in/) also the campus of Precious Children Ministries (http://www.preciouschildren.org/). Please visit their websites!

Jan. 9 Worship at a local church in the town of Areepparambu.

Jan. 10 Visit St. Mary’s Forane Church in Bharananganam (A 1,000 yr old Roman Catholic church). This church holds the remains of St Alphonsa, who was the first Indian saint. Later we will visit a Syrian Orthodox Church. The Christians in this area of India trace their faith all the way back to Thomas the Apostle who evangelized India.

Jan. 11 A discussion about the history of Christianity in India with our Indian Seminary counterparts. Explore Areepparambu.

Jan. 12 Visit to Mar Thomas Seminary. (St. Thomas Christians). Visit to an ancient Persian Cross.

Jan. 13 Free day.

Jan. 14 Visit a Hindu temple and visit a Mosque (during Friday prayers!).

Jan. 15 Boat ride and free afternoon.

Jan. 16 Attend a Pentecostal church in Areepparambu. Conversations with the director of Precious Children Ministries.

Jan. 17 Depart Kochi and fly to New Delhi.

Jan. 18 Visit Old and New Delhi, visting the Akshardham Temple, Noida Mor and Lotus Temple.

Jan. 19 Travel by train to Agra and visit the Taj Mahal and Taj Magri. Transfer by road to Jaipur (visiting Fatehpur Sikri enroute).

Jan. 20 Visit Jaipur, Amber Fort (elephant and jeep ride) and city tour.

Jan. 21 Depart Jaipur for New Delhi by road, then fly back to Kochi.

Jan. 22 Depart Kochi and arrive back at Dulles.

1 comment:

  1. I tracked your first flight, but can't find the next one. Apparently they're not so good at tracking flights from Qatar.
    I hope you're safe and got some rest on the plane. I also hope you can check this or that would be lame. :)
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete