Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Saturday on the town


                Today was labeled as a “catch up” day on our schedule so that if we had missed anything during the week, we could do it today.  However, it seems we were able to get all of our scheduled activities in on time.  So today we were left with shopping and eating, and noticing that I haven’t said anything about our food in this blog, I thought that I would take this time to do so.
                The food here so far has been amazing and we’ve been fed like kings and queens.  The seminary provides us with three meals a day whenever we’re here.  Breakfast has remained pretty constant with some fresh bananas, an assortment of tropical jams, hard boiled eggs, coffee and either pancake type food or what I was told were tapioca grits.
                Lunch and dinner can be somewhat interchangeable.  The booth always have rice and some type of curry, usually vegetable based.  There will be a side vegetable and some type of meat, so far we’ve had chicken, and fish.  And of course fresh bananas.
                The greatest part about seminary meals is knowing that things like the coffee or tea, the vegetables and rice they were all grown here in Kerala, some maybe even in the seminary’s back yard.
                We have a had a few chances to eat at local restaurants as well.  It is a chance for us to sample some other types of Indian cuisine that we may not get on campus.  And there is always a ton of food wherever we end up. But so far, we have not been disappointed.  Everything is always so fresh and full of flavor, and if you are brave enough, it is full of spice too.  I certainly do miss my wife’s cooking, but I suppose this food will hold me over for the next week or so.  And probably to the disappointment of my wife’s 2nd grade class, I have not YET eaten any bugs.

1 comment:

  1. I love you for remembering to add in a word about bug-eating! :)

    ReplyDelete